|Taringa Rovers 60 Years Young!
The History of Taringa Rovers Soccer Football Club 1949-2009
Taringa Rovers Soccer Football Club is one of the oldest soccer clubs in Brisbane, being founded in 1949. It is a highly respected member of the Queensland Soccer Federation and has a history of solid growth and strong administration.
Taringa Rovers was officially formed in 1949 with the objective of providing healthy recreation for the young people of the district. The brainchild of Jack Speare and Ernie Dixon, the club began with one Junior (or Juvenile as it was known then) team calling themselves Taringa Rovers because they had no fixed ground on which to play.
At the time of establishment of Taringa Rovers, the only park available on which the boys could play was Moore Park, behind the Indooroopilly School. It was six years before the Club entered into a joint agreement with Western Suburbs Soccer Football Club to share a lease on Jack Speare Park - or as it was known then, the Indooroopilly Recreation Reserve - or just "The Rec" for short.
From this inauspicious beginning the club has grown as a result of years of fund raising and hard work by volunteers.. In 2009 the club will field some 39 Junior Teams, 9 Senior Mens Teams and 2 Women's Teams to add to the 15 thousand players who have taken the field for Taringa Rovers. The facilities include a licensed Clubhouse valued at over one million dollars with function room, bar area, and meeting rooms; two senior fields, one junior field, a canteen, four dressing rooms, cricket practice nets and a grass cricket pitch situated between the two senior fields.